1. Pirates believed that piercing the ears with such precious metals as silver and gold improved one's eyesight.
2. Some motorcycle enthusiasts hang a biker's bell from a portion of their bike to protect themselves from evil road spirits.
3. Before traveling a person should, apparently, sit on their luggage.
4. It is bad luck to put new shoes on a bed (or a table).
5. A bird in the house is a sign of a death
6. A loaf of bread should never be turned upside down after a slice has been cut from it.
7. Never take a broom along when you move. Throw it out and buy a new one.
8. If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year.
9. If a black cat walks towards you, it brings good fortune, but if it walks away, it takes the good luck with it.
10. An acorn at the window will keep lightning out.
11. A dog howling at night when someone in the house is sick is a bad omen.
12. It’s bad luck to leave a house through a different door than the one used to come into it.
13. A horseshoe hung in the bedroom will keep nightmares away.
And now I'm going to go turn on my night light... It's bed time! And The Boogeyman often sleeps under my bed, or in my closet.